Friday, June 13, 2008

High Time for 21st Century Cliches








So, I've been thinking -- I know, scary right? And I've come to the conclusion that it is time to update some of the shopworn cliches that continue to persist in our lexicon, and trade them for some more updated would-be cliches that better reflect our eight-year-old century. So, here's a little mini-dictionary I made to give you some examples. Feel free to perpetuate these, or, of course, make up your own!



OLD CLICHE: ................... NEW MILLENIUM CLICHE:


"I phoned it in."........................."I texted it"

(Cliche meaning, "I put no effort into it."
Has it's roots in the increasingly
antiquated method of communication
known as the telephone)


"Shit or get off the pot"..........."Press send or power down!"

(Roots should be quite obvious.)


"Keep me posted".................."Download me"

(Has it's roots in the
nearly-obsolete U.S. mail)


"She's a ho" .................................."She's a reply to all"

(has its roots in agriculture)



"What's the 411?" ................................."What's the RSS?"

(has its roots in the fairly
antiquated practice of "calling
information")


"I'm dialed in." .................................."I'm logged on."

(Again, rooted
in the telephone, meaning "I know
what's up.)

No comments: