Tuesday, June 26, 2007

SIGHT UNSEEN

Hey Readers,

So, I finally conducted my blindfold experiment this weekend. And let me tell you, it was a doosy. I spent several hours on Saturday afternoon wearing one of those eye masks that some people wear to sleep. Well, I can see why that's what they're intended for, because as soon as I put the mask on, I promptly passed out for about an hour and twenty minutes. Refreshing! I almost never take naps--maybe this was the universe's way of telling me that I ought to...

I'd subconsciously heard my phone ring during my nap, so when I awoke, I fumbled to find the phone and check my messages. Naturally, this presented a problem, as the numbers on my keypad are not in braille... So I tried to use my memory to figure out where the special little buttons on top ended and the numbers began. I punched a few keys, and suddenly, I was calling someone! I immediately hung up. What if I was calling some total jerk? Well, it turned out I wasn't. You know how I know? Because five seconds later, the phone rang. I flipped it open--receiving calls was the easy part. It was my dad, asking me if I'd just called him. I said, "There's a very good chance I might have." We chatted for a few moments, but I found that it was somewhat difficult to concentrate. I never realized that sight played such a huge role in my comprehension and focus...

After returning a few phone calls with the (reluctant) aid of my husband, I thought I'd listen to a little bit of Saturday afternoon TV. I heard part of a true-hollywood-story type thing on Destiny's Child. I noticed myself hanging on every word. I was dying to rip my blindfold off and see a picture of Beyonce from her junior high days, but I have too much self respect to just up and throw in the towel like that. So I listened to the trials and tribulations of the Knowles' family, what their parents gave up for the girls' success, and how incredibly excited they were when they were picked up from high school one day by their mom, who was blasting their first single on the radio. Beyonce almost passed out!

When I first "went blind," I tried to memorize the lay of the land of my apartment, so that I wouldn't get lost. We only have a two bedroom, so I didn't think that would be a big deal. It turned out that it was. Being sight-free can be quite disorienting. It got so, I knew I was somewhere in the living room, but had no idea which part. I tried to figure it out, and sustained a few bruises to that end. But don't worry about me, I'll be fine. The black and blue marks were nothing next to my husband's serious irritation at having to pour me frequent glasses of water, lead me over bumps in the sidewalk, and dial my friends' phone numbers.

My big suggestion: If you're ever going to attempt such tomfoolery, make sure you're paying your guide by the hour, and determine the currency beforehand.

No comments: