Wednesday, October 24, 2007

ALBINO RATFISH!

Ever hear of a ratfish? Betcha haven't. Ever hear of an albino ratfish? Bet everything I own you haven't--okay, that's not much, but still, I do enjoy having a couch, and I'm not inclined to relinquish it casually.

Anyhoo, this ratfish was found off the coast of Washington State's Whidbey Island, and, in being albino, is apparently a real rarity among sealife. Check out the full story here. "I've seen tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of ratfish in my career, and have not seen a completely albino one before," said Wayne Palsson, a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist who studies groundfish populations in Puget Sound. Palsson's comment made me realize that ratfish are to marine biology what agents are to Hollywood. Except, I still haven't come across an albino agent in my so-called "career." My first thought was that if I do come across one, I will definitely be eager to do business with him (or her,) because maybe he'd be more human than other agents. But then, I thought better of it: Albinos get bullied a lot, so an albino agent would most certainly have an even bigger ax to grind than your normal, garden variety, Napoleon complex-having agent.

I would like to be albino for a day. I think it'd be kinda neat. For a day. As I said. Longer than that might be kinda tough. Especially if I resided near the equator. You could go broke trying to pay for all that sunscreen...

Check out some nineteenth century albinism in full effect:


Neat, huh?

2 comments:

Babugirl said...

trust me, a life with little melanin is nothing
to envy.

Unknown said...

Noooooooo way!!!! Pass me the suntan oil duuuude! Just kidding, I actually don't "sun bathe" anymore, but living a life of having to wear hats and glasses outdoors....very sad...isolating...you did see the albino dolphin with pink eyes right? I have to say he or she was the prettiest albino I ever did see, although this lady in the picture isn't bad herself...she looks like a 19th century California girl without the sun tan.
XXX